Repo owner BigBoss has just released a package into Cydia which allows the user to have a semi tethered jailbreak, removing some of the dangers of a tethered jailbreak. This means that if you run out of power, or if the device shuts down for any other reason, your device will be able to reboot with limited functionality. When you reboot semi-tethered, both Safari and Mail will be disabled, along with any other jailbreak apps or tweaks you have installed. Below is a tutorial on how to semi untether your iOS 5 device.
1. Jailbreak your iOS 5 device using Redsn0w’s tethered jailbreak and boot tethered.
2. Navigate to the Sources menu in Cydia, and add the source: “http://thebigboss.org/semitether”.
3. Open the source, and there should be one package titled “SemiTethered”.
4. Install the package and reboot your device.
5. Your device is now in a semi tethered state, and you will have to boot tethered using Redsn0w so use the disabled features.
With the release of iOS 5.1.1 today, there is already a jailbreak. The downside to this jailbreak is that it does not work on the iPad 2 or 3, and the iPhone. 4s. The Dev Team states to stay on 5.0.1 at all costs if you would like a jailbreak for one of those devices. This jailbreak is also semi tethered meaning you will need to follow the last steps every time your device turns fully off. If you use an unlock we highly recommend that you stay on iOS 5.0.1 (untethered).
How To Jailbreak 5.1.1
1. Open redsn0w, click “Jailbreak”.
2. Plug in your device and put it into DFU mode as instructed to after pressing “Next”
Note: This will not work on iPhone 4S or iPad 2 for 5.1.1*
3. Wait for your device to jailbreak close Redsn0w and open it again.
Booting Tethered – Do steps below now and every time your device turns off –
4. Open Redsn0w again and click “Extras” and then “Just Boot”
5. Wait for your device to boot up and it will be jailbroken.
6. Semi Untethered
If you would like to make your device semi untethered you can by following the directions we have here.
A new unlock method for jailbroken iPhones has just been announced and released, for those of you still in contract that can’t yet take advantage of AT&T’s unlock offer. This method uses Sam Binger’s Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM) package in Cydia. By following the steps below, you can unlock your phone (as confirmed by Musclenerd).
1. Download and install Sam Bingner’s SAM (Subscriber Artificial Module). You should add the repo “repo.bingner.com”.
2. Locate the SAMPrefs icon on your Springboard and open it.
3. Enter utilities ad choose to “De-Activate iPhone”.
4. Go to the “Method” section, select “By Country and Carrier”, and choose your carrier.
5. Tap “More Information”, and taking note of your IMSI in the “SAM Details” section, continue to “Spoof Real SIM to SAM”.
6. Go back to the main screen and change the “Method” to manual. Then enter the IMSI from step 5.
7. Plug your phone into iTunes and double click on “Phone Number” to make sure that the ICCID matches that of your SIM card, then unplug your iPhone.
8. Disable SAM.
9. Plug your iPhone back in, and restart iTunes if it says your phone cannot be activated.
10. Thats it! If you have issues with push notifications just use the “Clear Push” utility in SAM and reconnect to iTunes.
Following those steps above, you should be able to unlock your phone to work on any GSM network. Leave a comment if it worked for you!