Repo owner BigBoss has just released a package into Cydia which allows the user to have a semi tethered jailbreak, removing some of the dangers of a tethered jailbreak. This means that if you run out of power, or if the device shuts down for any other reason, your device will be able to reboot with limited functionality. When you reboot semi-tethered, both Safari and Mail will be disabled, along with any other jailbreak apps or tweaks you have installed. Below is a tutorial on how to semi untether your iOS 5 device.
1. Jailbreak your iOS 5 device using Redsn0w’s tethered jailbreak and boot tethered.
2. Navigate to the Sources menu in Cydia, and add the source: “http://thebigboss.org/semitether”.
3. Open the source, and there should be one package titled “SemiTethered”.
4. Install the package and reboot your device.
5. Your device is now in a semi tethered state, and you will have to boot tethered using Redsn0w so use the disabled features.
With the release of iOS 5.1.1 today, there is already a jailbreak. The downside to this jailbreak is that it does not work on the iPad 2 or 3, and the iPhone. 4s. The Dev Team states to stay on 5.0.1 at all costs if you would like a jailbreak for one of those devices. This jailbreak is also semi tethered meaning you will need to follow the last steps every time your device turns fully off. If you use an unlock we highly recommend that you stay on iOS 5.0.1 (untethered).
How To Jailbreak 5.1.1
1. Open redsn0w, click “Jailbreak”.
2. Plug in your device and put it into DFU mode as instructed to after pressing “Next”
Note: This will not work on iPhone 4S or iPad 2 for 5.1.1*
3. Wait for your device to jailbreak close Redsn0w and open it again.
Booting Tethered – Do steps below now and every time your device turns off –
4. Open Redsn0w again and click “Extras” and then “Just Boot”
5. Wait for your device to boot up and it will be jailbroken.
6. Semi Untethered
If you would like to make your device semi untethered you can by following the directions we have here.
The newly released and highly anticipated Absinthe A5 jailbreak is the first public jailbreak for iPhone 4S users and the first jailbreak for iPad 2 with iOS 5. If you’ve been waiting for an untethered jailbreak for either device with iOS 5, this is it, and it’s very easy to use. Absinthe is compatible with iPhone 4S or iPad 2 running the following iOS builds:
- iPhone 4S iOS 5.0 – build 9A334, iOS 5.0.1 builds 9A405 or 9A406
- iPad 2: iOS 5.0.1 – build 9A405
Backup your iOS device before proceeding, you can do this manually with iTunes.
Jailbreak iPhone 4S or iPad 2 on iOS 5 using Absinthe
- Download Absinthe A5 tool – (Mac OS X) (Windows)
- Connect the iPhone 4S or iPad 2 to the computer
- Launch Absinthe and click on “Jailbreak” and let the device sit and run the jailbreak, this may take a while
- When the jailbreak is finished, you’ll see an Absinthe icon on the home screen, tap on that to load the Greenpois0n site and download Cydia
The device is now jailbroken. This is a fully untethered jailbreak, meaning you can reboot at will without the need for boot assistance from an application or computer.
Troubleshooting: If you see an “Error establishing a database connection” error during the process, just wait it out and try again, or start a VPN tunnel through Settings > Network > VPN > ON (via @pod2g). The Absinthe Greenpois0n servers are swamped by the initial demand but things should even out shortly.
After the long wait, the dev team (mainly pod2g) has released an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5 and 5.0.1! In order to apply the jailbreak, either…
If you are semi-tethered or tethered jailbroken:
1) Go over to Cydia and search for “Corona 5.0.1 Untether” and install.
3) Congrats! You’re done
If you are not jailbroken:
1) Download redsn0w from the links below (corresponding to mac vs. pc)
redsn0w 0.9.1b2 for mac: http://www.mediafire.com/?44174diech849v9
redsn0w 0.9.1b2 for pc: http://www.mediafire.com/?ccagycy3volahp3
2) Plug in your idevice (and backup if you are not familiar with jail breaking process, just in case)
3) Follow directions on screen after opening redsn0w
Press “Next”, then do the following on your idevice
The following will happen – don’t press anything…
Keep “Install Cydia” checked and press “Next”
Your idevice should look like…
4) Wait a few minutes…
5) You’re done! YES
(Picture Courtesy of Geek.com)