Repo owner BigBoss has just released a package into Cydia which allows the user to have a semi tethered jailbreak, removing some of the dangers of a tethered jailbreak. This means that if you run out of power, or if the device shuts down for any other reason, your device will be able to reboot with limited functionality. When you reboot semi-tethered, both Safari and Mail will be disabled, along with any other jailbreak apps or tweaks you have installed. Below is a tutorial on how to semi untether your iOS 5 device.
1. Jailbreak your iOS 5 device using Redsn0w’s tethered jailbreak and boot tethered.
2. Navigate to the Sources menu in Cydia, and add the source: “http://thebigboss.org/semitether”.
3. Open the source, and there should be one package titled “SemiTethered”.
4. Install the package and reboot your device.
5. Your device is now in a semi tethered state, and you will have to boot tethered using Redsn0w so use the disabled features.
This is how to install a fully working Siri on your iDevice in a few easy steps. If you need help check out my walk through video. Enjoy!
Step 1: Add the Source iHacksRepo.com to Cydia
Step 2: Download Spire
Step 3: Download AssistantServer Installer
Step 4: Make sure your Device is rebooted and go into your Spire settings. Settings>Spire
Step 5: Add the proxy https://localhost:4443
Step 6: Head into your AssistantServer settings (Settings>SiriServer) and click install certificate.
Step 7: Once installed your Siri should be ready to go! **Note** Make sure your siri language settings are set to English (US)
A new unlock method for jailbroken iPhones has just been announced and released, for those of you still in contract that can’t yet take advantage of AT&T’s unlock offer. This method uses Sam Binger’s Subscriber Artificial Module (SAM) package in Cydia. By following the steps below, you can unlock your phone (as confirmed by Musclenerd).
1. Download and install Sam Bingner’s SAM (Subscriber Artificial Module). You should add the repo “repo.bingner.com”.
2. Locate the SAMPrefs icon on your Springboard and open it.
3. Enter utilities ad choose to “De-Activate iPhone”.
4. Go to the “Method” section, select “By Country and Carrier”, and choose your carrier.
5. Tap “More Information”, and taking note of your IMSI in the “SAM Details” section, continue to “Spoof Real SIM to SAM”.
6. Go back to the main screen and change the “Method” to manual. Then enter the IMSI from step 5.
7. Plug your phone into iTunes and double click on “Phone Number” to make sure that the ICCID matches that of your SIM card, then unplug your iPhone.
8. Disable SAM.
9. Plug your iPhone back in, and restart iTunes if it says your phone cannot be activated.
10. Thats it! If you have issues with push notifications just use the “Clear Push” utility in SAM and reconnect to iTunes.
Following those steps above, you should be able to unlock your phone to work on any GSM network. Leave a comment if it worked for you!
After much anticipation… Siri’s Dictation Feature has FINALLY been ported over to all devices supported by Apple to run it’s newest OS (iOS 5 and iOS 5.0.1). In order to get the new feature up and running, you must have a jailbreak. Thus far, there are no public untethered jailbreaks. The best jailbreak available up until today is the “semi-tethered” jailbreak. I will be writing a post on how to do a “semi-tethered jailbreak” shortly. For those of you who already have a jailbroken device running 5.0 or 5.0.1 follow the following steps:
1. Head over to Cydia
2. Go to manage tab at bottom of screen
3. Click on the sources option
4. Tap edit at the top right
5. Tap add at the top left
6. Type the following Repo: http://apt.if0rce.com
7. Tap add source
8. Scroll to Siri0us and install
9. Let the phone go through the steps
10. Reboot tethered and you should have a working phone with Siri’s dictation feature!
**UPDATE: I have been notified that some users are having issues because of a server overload. If you are unable to install Siri0us, add this source instead:
(Video courtesy of iDownloadBlog)
I hope this was helpful! If you liked it, please be sure to follow my site (top left hand corner) and also subscribe to my YouTube page youtube.com/theT3chGuru – I will be adding lots more content!
– Rohan Shah